Sunday, October 3, 2010

Yogurt and an update on my weekend

Greetings! UK supermarkets are home to a multitude of unique and sometimes worrisome food items which include but are not limited to:

Fridge Raiders - "Our deliciously meaty Fridge Raiders come in bags, full of irresistible flavours" ... they are chunks of chicken in a bag. Surprisingly tasty.
Innocent Veg Pot - assorted vegetarian meals in resealable plastic pots. But if the vegetables are innocent too ...
And of course,
Muller Yogurt Corner - The most delicious thing you've ever had.

That final item happens to make up 80% of my fridge contents, by unit (the other two items are a bottle of wine and a single bottle of beer). Be proud! I'm eating healthy!

As for my weekend ...



Friday was uneventful: quite happily did my laundry, ate an entire pizza (Papa John's is like crack) and watched a whole lot of TV in my room. Did yoga (I know!) and slept. Hooray!

Saturday is where the party's at. Actually. Went to Ruairidh's (pronounced like Rury) first birthday party and cavorted with the still-Scottish part of my family. Good times were had, followed by tea at a fantastic Turkish restaurant around the corner from my place with Wilma, her daughter Lynsey (Ruairidh's mum), and friends of theirs. Then onto the main event: Phil & Aly at the Queen's Hall!

Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham are a legendary (apparently - this was proven Saturday night) Scottish folk duo; Aly is a world-renowned fiddler and Phil plays the accordion like a champ. Their songs are parsed with extremely funny anecdotes and jokes, all accompanied by generous amounts of alcohol (which you can bring into the theatre here, I learned). Really, really glad I got to go! If you've never listened to them, which is highly likely, I recommend googling them - extraordinary stuff.

And now it's Sunday. I have accomplished nothing in the 6 hours I have been awake, other than a quick nip round to Tesco's for more yogurt and watching 6 episodes of 30 Rock. Tonight: pub quiz! Hooray!

PS. Two weeks until Avenue Q in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment