Thursday, October 28, 2010

A quick bit about chicken dilruba ...

Midway through my attempt at making this tasty curry (which I've had only one time - at Haveli in Ottawa, a truly excellent restaurant) I realized:

Oh hey!  I totally forgot to document this.  Oh well, I'm sure I'll make it again - next time!

Psht.  So glad I didn't waste my time.  It did not turn out at all like I was expecting and was certainly nothing you'd want to see a photo of.  I ground the nuts by hand and I'm not sure I cooked it properly (the recipe was a little vague) so it wound up lumpy, pasty and dry rather than creamy and rich like the one at Haveli.  So sad.  Tasted all right, if completely different than chicken dilruba, so the leftovers will still be eaten.

Thoughts for next time:
  • Verify that I was using Punjabi garam masala ... seems odd to specify Punjabi if there's not some other variety that shouldn't be used
  • Swap yogurt or milk for cream or coconut milk ... I think it could be creamier and I've always liked everything I've used coconut milk in
  • Get a bit more generous with the saffron (again, the recipe was a bit vague)
  • Buy properly ground nuts or find a way to powder them myself
Hopefully I get a chance to iron out the kinks and try this again soon.  The original was definitely worth a bit of fiddling around to be able to make myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment