Monday, September 13, 2010

Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye!

For starters, it would really be polite to say welcome, welcome, welcome. Not only would it be polite, but it would be a nice change of pace from all the goodbyes I've been doing over the past few weeks. But quickly, an introduction: You already know who I am, which also means you know what I'm up to. My plane leaves around 7:30 on Wednesday night and as of 7:00 local time Thursday morning, I will be on Day 1 of my year abroad in Edinburgh, Scotland. As for this blog, it's mainly a space for me to keep track of my travels and keep everyone I'm in touch with in the loop when I get too caught up to do it myself. Hopefully I manage to keep up my end of the bargain here (no promises, but I'll try). That is all, so on with it -

To all my lovely friends, thank you again for the warm send-offs! I have made my final goodbyes in Ottawa, packed my bags, and I'm looking forward to seeing the city and its delightful inhabitants (as well as the less delightful ones that linger around Rideau) again this time next year. But for now, goodbye National Capitol Region! It's been a great summer of knowledge-dropping, trinket-mongering and sweltering heat but sadly I've got to get this show on the road. My mom picked me and my numerous trunks up today and I waved goodbye to dear old Ottawa.

Now I'm in Bancroft for some minimalistic packing and down time at home. The day or two of moderate laziness will be well appreciated, if a bit lonely. Game plan: laundry, hacking down wardrobe, banking, making many to-do lists, walking the dog. Should be fun. Then a pit stop in Ajax/Toronto, a short transatlantic flight, and I'm on my merry way! No more texting until I make some friends, no more gravy on fries (which I don't really like in the first place), no more choking humidity or changing leaves ... but plenty to keep me busy and excited in old country. I have no idea what to expect, so this is going to be a blast. But don't be surprised to see this followed by an anxiety-filled pre-flight post before the fun begins.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment