Monday, September 27, 2010

Onto another year of lackluster involvement.

Or so I thought! Thankfully, I scored a EUSA Societies' Guide (I'm as unsure about that apostrophe as you may be, rest assured, but it's on the cover) and have managed to find a number of things that look interesting. Anything with meeting schedules posted, I've plunked into my Google calendar and will hopefully make myself go to them. All others have received a brief and surely awkward email poking around for more info as to how to get involved.  More on this after the jump.



My societies of choice include, but are not limited to the Linguistics and English Language Society (LangSoc), the Yoga Society, the Come Dine with Me Society (have you ever watched that show? I want to do that so badly!), the Beer Society, the Art Society and so on. I figured I'll cast my net wide and hopefully will find something where the people are genuinely fun and it's a good time. I was thinking about the Water of Life Society (whisky!) but it's horribly expensive. After your ten-pound membership, it's six pounds a meeting! I don't care how good the drink deals are, that's irritating.

Anyways, here are some others that I decided against and that I thought were a bit amusing:

ChocSoc (the chocolate appreciation society) - my sister would agree with me that this is coming dangerously close to TFL.
Chill Out Society (as lame sounding as its name) - contrary to expectations, no illicit substances are alluded to. They do a lot of massage and Reiki apparently ...
Fashion and Textiles Society - only funny because they bill themselves as the FAT Society.
Musical Medics Society (the most inclusive performing music society) - actually! No auditions and, wait for it, you don't have to be a medic. Get a new name.
Rubik's Cube Society - yep.

The list goes on! Anyways, for now I'm reading up on Language Log, which is a linguistic blog contributed by a good handful of occasionally funny linguists including the ever-witty Geoff Pullum (AKA the man who terrorizes me with syntactic theory thrice weekly). Not to be an asshole, but because LangSoc told me to.

I think I've done absolutely everything in my power not to start reading again, so I guess that's all I've got left to do. I'll update soon on how this societal involvement deal goes (it usually never happens, just FYI)

No comments:

Post a Comment