Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Well now, I suppose it's about time.

Long overdue post today!  Things you can look forward to:

  1. Terrible photos of the big Pagan fire fest that happened on Halloween (had some trouble finding an appropriate setting for most of it).
  2. New hobbies!
  3. Family time.
  4. Procrastination (yes, it's not just blogging that keeps me preoccupied).
Do read on.


Number One.
Halloween!  Yes, lovely, dark, eerily back-lit (don't know how that happened), spot of rain ... all in all a very normal night in Edinburgh.  (Just in case you were wondering, night now starts at about 4:30 on a sunny day so stock up on vitamin D if you're planning a visit.)  Did a bit of partying the Thursday before, nothing too wild, although a German guy did ask me on a date and when I turned him down I was reassured "That's all right, I have a tiny prick."  So at least I wasn't missing out?  (Also sorry to my grandmother, but I'm sure she's heard worse, working amongst students.)  Anyways, some costume photos:
My lovely flatmates: America, Scotland, and Japan (thus named to protect their privacy as I don't believe this blog has any privacy filters ... or any followers so perhaps pointless) cleverly disguised as a devil, Batman, and a zebra.
Not a great photo of me, but here's Nicola, me, and Honor (whose identity I clearly have no problem disclosing so I'm dropping the flatmate labels: they are Becca, Rachel and Rina - suck it, Google).  We are Steve Zissou, a flapper, and a vaguely Indian-inspired lady.  Luvly.
Actual Halloween is among my least favourite holidays at home as it is usually a big ol' tarted-up letdown.  So I had no plans of going out at all here, since it's not obligatory this side of the Atlantic (what a place!), until I was informed of the big parade and show that some (many) Pagan enthusiasts (Pagans? Pagan society? not sure, really) put on down on the Royal Mile.  Tralala, went to see that, loved it, got stuck in a crowd, neck started hurting, couldn't see, got over it, and went to the castle.  Good night altogether.  Kick ass costumes, fire-twirling, I think we saw a boobie, and little or no safety regulations.  Overheard during fire-twirling: "You know how usually you see these things and just trust them since they're professionals and you know no one's getting hurt?  Not getting that here."  Photos!
They go on, but I'll just link you to them to save time and space.

Number Two
The entries from here get much shorter since, really, I've not done anything too exciting since.  Nothing to blog about at least.  BUT I have actually picked up a new hobby: knitting!  Ripping off, among others, my flatmate Becca, my sister, Honor, and my grandmother.  No matter, it's good fun.  Made two hats (one was made with HUGE wool so it took about an hour), and now I'm working on a jumper with owls on it!  How exciting.  Taking up all of my time, and I'll post some photos when the jumper is done.  (I'm doing socks next!)  Joined the KnitSoc here at school today, too.

Number Three
On account of some very unhappy circumstances, I spent this past weekend plus a few days in Marsden in Yorkshire with my family.  A busy few days filled with far too much beer, but despite the circumstances it was nice to see them all and spend time together.

Number Four
I think this one bounces back to Number Two, but no matter.  I've rewatched the entire LoTR series (extended versions - oh my god, I know), read most of Twilight ... well, watched Alex read it on Youtube, and painted my nails.  I should start a charity or something, this is getting silly.

That's about it.  The reason for the all too thorough treatment of some very mundane topics is because I don't know how else to answer the daunting tell me everything that I've gotten a few times lately!  Considering starting a video segment because it would be much less dry than reading about all the nothing I get up to.  Thoughts, internet abyss?  Also considering buying a fantastic fur coat from the shop down the road (only 45 quid ... it's on hold ...), and of course Dean is visiting starting on Sunday.  Hoorah!  Should really be doing more work, then, if anything.  For now, until I do something interesting, good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment