Sunday, November 28, 2010

Brass tacks.

For anyone who knows me (which would, presumably, be anyone who reads this), you know how I'm getting around this time of the year.  My cooking is going to get more elaborate, my room is going to get cleaner, and my hair will probably look like I put some effort into it.  Or, more simply, the procrastination train has reached full speed.  Suffice to say, it's taking all my willpower and a promise to a third party that I will not go near any wool shop (online or otherwise).

Solution?  Some concrete, in-print commitments.  And a formula for productivity.




I'm killing the couple of hours before a study session with some ironic productivity blog surfing and have come up with a few goals.

  1. (10+2)*5 :  Also known as the only way I get things done at times like these.  Ten minutes of work, two minutes of mandatory slacking; repeat five times.  Ta-da!  An hour in which I have (ideally) done 50 minutes of work.  Theoretically the breaks begin to get skipped and life goes on a little more proactively.  Goal: Since I will die a student's death if I don't manage this: minimum 6 repeats of the formula daily.  A tidy 42-hour work week, at least.  Tacked a reminder notecard (another thing I'm addicted to) above my laptop for good measure.
  2. Get my ass out of bed : Using another handy hack, I commit to getting up, away from my bed, and on to something before 9am every day, regardless of when I went to sleep or when I have to be anywhere.  This is probably a lie-in for some of you, but it will be a tough on for me.  I considered 8am, but baby steps are probably best.  Goal: manage this for 7 consecutive days - should start becoming a habit at that point.
  3. Well... I'd like to make this a commitment to exercise, but now I'm getting a bit ambitious.  Instead, I'll take better care of myself otherwise.  Goal: take vitamin D and vit C daily, cut back on the scones and clotted cream - NO TAKEAWAYS (other than mosque kitchen ...).
Expect a progress update in a week!  Goals to be amended/added/mourned at that time.  I'm also hoping to hit up the German Christmas markets that are a big thing here and just started.  Hopefully I'll have an album soon.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment